PALEO | Gluten Free | Dairy Free | Nut Free | Refined Sugar Free
These are paleo, gluten free, dairy free, nut free and refined sugar free and super easy to make!
Ellie – After experimenting with many chocolate chip cookie recipes and using different flours, I came to the conclusion that tiger nut flour was a good alternative for soft and cakey chocolate chip cookies. Almond flour and nut flours allow for a more dense cookie but can also come out very chewy depending on the quantity of oil and/or liquid that goes into the recipe. Cassava flour comes out incredibly cakey and works better for muffins, biscuits, and cakes. Tigernut flour can also be relatively cakey, but the recipe I came up with came out chewy and delicious.
Even though these are chocolate chip cookies, they are low glycemic and have a combination of good fats, proteins, and carbohydrates to create long lasting energy! (Sometimes I even eat these for breakfast)
I only used chocolate chips in the recipe but feel free to create other variations by adding things like raisins and chopped walnuts.
1 cup Tigernut flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp flaky salt (if don’t have flaky salt use sea salt)
1 tsp xanthum gum
1/4 cup honey* (can use coconut sugar, date sugar, or maple syrup as well)
1/3 cup of coconut oil (melted)**
1/8 cup of water
3/4 cup of chocolate chips or chunks (I used lily’s stevia sweetened chocolate chips)
*I used less honey (around 2 tbsp and 4 drops of vanilla stevia for a less sweet version)
**I like combine oils so I used equal portions of grape seed oil, avocado oil, and olive oil)
- Pre-heat oven to 365˚F (this allows for caramelization)
- Combine the dry ingredients (tigernut flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and xanthum gum) and whisk until fully mixed
- In a separate bowl combine wet ingredients (honey, oil, egg, and water) and whisk until fully incorporated
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until a batter forms (should be in between a dough and batter)
- Add the chocolate chips last
- Spoon the mixture onto a baking sheet and form into cookie shape
- Bake at 365˚ for 13-15 minutes
- Let cool and enjoy!
Enjoy with a scoop of vanilla ice cream