GLUTEN FREE | DAIRY FREE | SUGAR FREE | PALEO | GRAIN-FREE
Our favorite lunch or dinner to make at school because it is super easy, really filling, and simple to modify for whatever your dietary restrictions are. The salad pictured here is a bed of green leaf lettuce, pulled and ripped apart. On top is half of an avocado, roasted cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, and asparagus (roast at 425 degrees F for about 10 minutes then shake the pan to mix it up and cook for an additional 5-10, depending on how crunchy you like your veggies). This has grilled chicken as well as de-shelled pistachio nuts for a nice crunch. The salad dressing that WE ALWAYS use is 10 tbsp grapeseed oil, 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar, and 1 tbsp dijon mustard (no added sugar, check the label!). This salad is so delicious and takes about 25 minutes total to make (including the chicken, which is the longest part).
To make Crohn’s friendly:
- Nix the lettuce all together because raw lettuce can be hard to digest
- Nix the pistachios because nuts are hard to digest – instead you can crumble grain free Simple Mills crackers on top for a little crunch
- Add sweet potato to it for some more color and flavor (Cook an entire sweet potato and add half to the salad while saving half for a snack once you get hungry later)
- Add a fried egg – because the more protein the better!
- Add brussel sprouts – because who doesn’t absolutely LOVE brussel sprouts. Just roast them right along side the other veggies
- To make vegan: Instead of chicken you can just add other substantial veggies such as eggplant and or zucchini. Another option is to just double everything else!